Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Preaching Tips from Rocky, Neal and Me
One of my favorite movie quotes comes from Rocky III. Mickey (Rocky's trainer) is talking to, Rocky because he lost who he really is. Mickey says, "Well Rock, let's put it this way-3 years ago you were supernatural, you was hard and you was nasty and you had this cast-iron jaw...but then, the worst thing happened to you that could happen to any fighter...you got civilized."
I began listening to more and more preaching back in the day of how I "should" sound and realized...wow...that is boring. Boring as, Dell Griffith in the video above. We need that pep talk from Neal Page. Listen to that lesson from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" and apply it to your preaching.
Here are a few other points on being yourself when you "preach".
1. Realize you are speaking about truth that can change the world.
2. Loose the shame. Remember what, Paul said "I am not ashamed of the gospel."
3. Disconnect from the fear of what people might think of you. BE YOURSELF! EMBRACE IT!
4. Get rid of the pursuit of popularity and social acceptance. Those that "get it" will "get you" and enjoy that. Sure, not everyone is going to agree with you 100% of the time. That is okay... this something I have had to come to grips with. In fact I have grown when people tell me about issues they don't agree with me on. However, they will probably love you overall for you simply being you. If I was setting out to be "socially acceptable" I would not have begun www.thatsnotmygod.com. BE DIFFERENT...BE YOURSELF!
5. Stay uncivilized! One person said "the reason why churches aren't growing today is that everyone is speaking the same language." Put aside the act of trying to look like something you possibly are not. Have fun with teaching/preaching and see what happens.
So onward I go being an unpolished speaker. You know what though...I love the people that enjoy it and I love the church I get to pastor. So here is to being a not so good speaker according to what possibly could be taught in seminaries. Here's to being myself!